Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Add Kindness


(Pictures featured today are my own photographs at home.)


Someone was discussing with me some things I though worth recording here on my blog. One thing that was highlighted by my friend was the practice of kindness.  We discussed what it involves and how to be careful not to neglect it or misuse it, and looked back in our lives to see where we had made colossal errors in either neglect or misapplication. 

In 2nd Peter 1:5-10 there is the word "add".  What a lot of addition we must learn at home!

"...and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love."

I noticed families over the years who said terrible things to each other and parents who were rude to their children, but they treated the public very courteously. This ought not to be. The courtesy at home will eventually, through habit, become courtesy in public.  Keep company manners in the home, first. These children are precious souls who will one day carry on the virtues described in 2nd Peter 1:5-10. If these virtues are not paired with kind and gentle teaching and patience, the message becomes repugnant to the public and the home.

2Pe 1:5  Yea, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply virtue; and in your virtue knowledge;

2Pe 1:6  and in your knowledge self-control; and in your self-control patience; and in your patience godliness;

2Pe 1:7  and in your godliness brotherly kindness; and in your brotherly kindness love.

2Pe 1:8  For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to be not idle nor unfruitful unto the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:9  For he that lacketh these things is blind, seeing only what is near, having forgotten the cleansing from his old sins.

2Pe 1:10  Wherefore, brethren, give the more diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never stumble:



One major hindrance to happiness in a family is the practice of hasty, sharp replies, especially when answering a question or in normal, trivial conversation. To be constantly corrected and argued against in the most innocent, casual conversation, is very demeaning and depressing, even deeply grieving.

Learn to answer as politely as though you are talking to company.

My housekeeping needs much attention today, before I return to sewing, but I will surely post what I make, this week.  Today will be a getting-back-in-order day where I clean up the sewing room, gather the threads and fabrics and clean house in general.  Slow-cookers are great for keeping a hot meal, and we have a tiny one, cooking for two or three. Soups are also great to keep the body healthy and when made at home you can avoid all the unnecessary additives.


Thank you everyone for taking the time to visit here. It is just wonderful and I also hope you know that I have received some letters and will try and answer them before the year is over!

Lydia

6 comments:

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

It's nice to see the trees turning colors. Soon the leaves will be waiting for the rake.
Enjoy your cooler weather!

Rachel and Family said...

Thank you for this post! I am a looongtime reader of you beautiful blog. We almost had tea once :) Just wanted you to know that even though I don't always comment, I am always grateful for your posts. The world needs more beauty, grace, kindness.

Lynn said...

I appreciate your reminder about soups....

Nicole in MD said...

Thank you for the convicting words about correction in innocent conversation. This is something that I struggle with. It doesn't matter if I think it is innocent if my husband feels attacked! Please pray for me!

I appreciate your ministry here!

Mrs. White said...

Your writings, pictures, and videos are so inspiring and encouraging. Thank you for all you do to encourage homemakers!

The Vintage Family said...

Good morning Lady Lydia! I love your posts and have been following you for years. I was going through some older ones and thought I really need to print out some of these articles, because they are becoming even more valuable as the years go on. But then I realized, I would be printing a book! Have you considered putting together a book? Please say yes!!!... It would be priceless!

Mrs. M