Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pretty and Green Around Here

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is so lovely when the land turns green after a dry spell. I like the painting of the woman taking a walk with her basket for collecting flowers. As a girl, I thought that baskets were representative of kindness and generosity. Before boxes and bags were prominent, food and gifts and even kittens and puppies were transported in baskets to the recipients. I do not walk around carrying a basket, but I sometimes take my first cup of mint tea in the morning and walk around outside to see what is new; to look at the light on things and the colors, listen to sounds, and breathe the scents of the season. It is a soft way of preparing for a day which may have a hefty serving of challenges.

 

Lately I have been enjoying different artist's rendition of "Mull of Kintyre." My favorite was by Glen Campbell, who was from Arkansas. The song is found here http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5Kb3MnCqs, where he also played the bagpipes. It would not upload on to my blog, so here is another version of Mull of Kintyre which shows scenes of the place called Mull of Kintyre.

Here are the lyrics:

Mull of kintyre
Oh mist rolling in from the sea,
My desire is always to be here
Oh mull of kintyre
Far have I traveled and much have I seen
Dark distant mountains with valleys of green.
Past painted deserts the sunsets on fire
As he carries me home to the mull of kintyre.

Mull of kintyre
Oh mist rolling in from the sea,
My desire is always to be here
Oh mull of kintyre

Sweep through the heather like deer in the glen
Carry me back to the days I knew then.
Nights when we sang like a heavenly choir
Of the life and the time of the mull of kintyre.

Mull of kintyre
Oh mist rolling in from the sea,
My desire is always to be here
Oh mull of kintyre

Smiles in the sunshine
And tears in the rain
Still take me back to where my memories remain
Flickering embers growing higher and higher
As they carry me back to the mull of kintyre

Mull of kintyre
Oh mist rolling in from the sea,
My desire is always to be here
Oh mull of kintyre

Mull of kintyre
Oh mist rolling in from the sea,
My desire is always to be here
Oh mull of kintyre

 

8 comments:

SharonR said...

Very pretty song. I don't think I'd ever heard it before. Thanks for sharing.
It is amazing how the dry earth will suddenly turn green after a good rain, isn't it? So thirsty. Are people like that? After a long period of no direction, then given direction by way of God's word, suddenly there's life? I think so.

Lydia said...

I may try not watering the vast amount of lawn next summer and Just let it dry, since it seems to come back after one good rainfall, just as green as ever.

Decor To Adore said...

Such lovely, peaceful images. I adore the pop of red against all the green.

Happy fall days to you.

Cynthia Berenger said...

That is an amazing transformation in comparison to your photographs of a few weeks ago. I couldn't listen to the song, for I knew I would cry.

Agape always,
Cynthia

anonymous said...

Oh thank you Lydia for posting Mull of Kintyre, its one of my favorite songs. Makes me tear up each time I hear it because I get this deep longing in my spirit for home. I'm speaking of the home with Christ our Savior.

These beautiful foggy mornings have been heavenly. Now I'll try taking my morning tea with me on my walkabouts.

Your tea cup is really pretty sitting on the bench under the arbor.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, Yes things are changing! Fall is a time to reflect for me.
Loving His sweet presence!We are painting our large bathroom, and the cabinets! We just celebrated our renewal of our wedding vows on Saturday.
Blessings, Roxy

Finding Joy said...

It's green around us at the moment, but in the Blue Mountains near Sydney there have been terrible fires in the last week with 100s of homes destroyed or damaged. It has been so dry and it's only October and not yet summer.

Anonymous said...

I liked all the pretty scenes and seeing your teacup on its travels round the garden Sweet!like a still life picture.
I always liked the Paul and Linda McCartney version of Mull of Kintyre, in the 70's, was it?
I've only been to Scotland once, two years ago, we went SO close to the Kintyre Peninsula (Argyll)
but didn't quite make it there...something to put on the itinerary for next time : )