Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day







Roses by J.L. Jensen (1800-1856)



Valentines Day here in America has become a day for everyone. Ladies especially enjoy it and exchange hand made hearts with friends and loved ones.


A poem found in an old scrapbook:


If you want to be happy, begin where you are.

Don't wait for some rapture that's future and far.

Begin to be joyous, begin to be glad,

And soon you'll forget that you ever were sad.


If you want to be happy, begin where you are.

Your windows to sunlight and sweetness unbar;

If dark seems the day, light a candle of cheer,

Till its steady flame brightens each heart that comes near.


Sunshine


Don't hunt for trouble, but look for success;

You'll find what you look for--don't look for distress.

If you see but your shadow, remember, I pray,

That the sun is still shining, but you're in the way.

Don't grumble, don't bluster, don't sigh and don't shirk;

Don't think of your worries, but think of your work.

The worries will vanish, the work will be done,

No man sees his shadow - who faces the sun.











6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always like these little quips & quotes...nuggets of wisdom, I guess. Thanks, Mrs. Sherman. (o:

have a good weekend-
Brenda

Lydia said...

I felt a loss of words to explain why it is important to overcome the tendency to be morose and sad. It makes a person stronger each time they overcome it. Eventually they will become an old person that other people depend on to look on the sunny side of life. Also the poems made me remember a time of extreme poverty when people could still sing. I hope to share more out of this little scrapbook. It was done over a 30 year period and contains old clippings from papers and bulletins and books.

Julie said...

I wanted to say thank you for the heart napkin tutorial. I made them for my family last night with only a few minutes to go before dinner.
Thank you also for inspiring me to treat my family to beauty more. I wish I could find my camera and show you pictures from our Valentine's Day dinner. I would love for you to know what your encouragement has done for my family.

Mimi said...

I like old poems and sayings like that. I especially got a kick out of the thought, "If you see but your shadow, remember, I pray, that the sun is still shining, but you're in the way....No man sees his shadow -- who faces the sun!" How true that is, I've found!

Mimi said...

(I apologize if this came through twice. I accidentally exited before making sure that the comment was completed).

I like old sayings and poems like that. I especially got a kick out of the thought, "If you see but your shadow, remember, I pray, that the sun is still shining, but you're in the way...No man sees his shadow -- who faces the sun." How true that is.

Anonymous said...

I love the poems. They were just what I needed today. Thanks!

Jennifer